BLOOMINGTON, Minn. — Jets running back Matt Forte told Newsday on Friday that he would like to return to the team in 2018.
Forte finished the 2017 season on injured reserve with right knee discomfort and had career lows in carries (103) and yards (381). He had only two rushing touchdowns and, for the first time in his 10-year career, didn’t have at least one 100-yard rushing game.
“I feel good now that I haven’t done it in like six weeks,” Forte said. “I got some personal goals that are real obtainable that I can reach. But I don’t want to finish my career out being on IR at the end of the year. I want to be impactful and help our team get to the playoffs and go out on top.”
One of those goals might be reaching 10,000 rushing yards. He sits at 9,796.
Forte is entering the final year of his contract. If the Jets release him, they will save $3 million. They could go that route, given that they want to have a younger team in 2018.
“I have no idea what’s in the cards. Only God knows,” Forte said. “I’m a realist. I’m 32 years old, I’m a running back and had a couple of injuries last year. If I’m under contract with them and if they want to keep me, they will. If not, I’ll try to get on with another team.”