TODAY'S PAPER
Good Morning
Good Morning
SportsFootballJets

Jets, No. 3 overall pick Quinnen Williams agree to four-year deal

Jets defensive lineman Quinnen Williams on the practice

Jets defensive lineman Quinnen Williams on the practice field during minicamp at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center in Florham Park, N.J., on June 4. Credit: Brad Penner

FLORHAM PARK. N.J. – Quinnen Williams will be joining the Jets in training camp.

The Jets reached an agreement with their first-round pick Thursday on a four-year, $32.5 million deal that includes a $21.7 million signing bonus. The contract includes a fifth-year team option.

The payment schedule of the signing bonus had been the holdup in the negotiations. Williams, the No. 3 overall pick, reportedly will get 75 percent of the bonus at signing and the remaining 25 percent next year.

The team announced the two sides reached an accord Thursday afternoon.

Williams, considered by some to be the best defensive player in the draft, was the last first-round pick to agree on his deal. The nose tackle is expected to be at camp Friday. The Jets held their first practice Thursday.

Jets coach Adam Gase didn’t seem overly concerned about Williams not being here for the start of camp. It may end up that he misses only one or two practices.

Last year, Sam Darnold missed the first three practices while his representatives and the Jets worked out his contract. He said Wednesday that he didn’t think it had an impact on the season.

Williams will have some catching up to do, however, after a calf injury limited him during the offseason workout program. But the Jets have praised Williams’ work ethic, attitude and versatility.

A standout for Alabama last year, Wlliams was a unanimous first-team All-American after recording 71 tackles, 19.5 for loss, and eight sacks. He won the Outland Trophy as the nation’s top interior lineman.

Williams said during OTAs that he believes he can play anywhere up front in Jets defensive coordinator Gregg Williams' system.

“Me just being smart, high IQ, learning all three positions, wherever he wants me to play I’m going to be able to play,” he said. “Wherever he feels is best for me I’m going to be able to play. I can be able to spread around my athletic ability and be dominant everywhere for the team.”

New York Sports