Sal Alosi's time with the Jets is done.
The strength and conditioning coach, who was suspended indefinitely since Dec. 13 for sticking out his knee and his infamous sideline trip of Dolphins gunner Nolan Carroll in the Jets' 10-6 loss a day earlier, has resigned.
Alosi, a Massapequa native who played collegiately at Hofstra, had been in limbo and fined $25,000 for the incident and failing to disclose all the information during the Jets' initial investigation of the matter.
“After speaking with Sal, he decided that it is best for him to tender his resignation at this time,” GM Mike Tannenbaum said in a statement. “We appreciate all of Sal’s contributions during his tenure with the team. He played an invaluable role in our success and established what we feel is one of the better strength and conditioning programs in the NFL.”
The Jets say Alosi acted alone in ordering their inactive players to form a sideline wall, all so they could deter Miami's special teams players from trying to run down field out of bounds while trying to cover punts. Special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff maintained he had no knowledge of Alosi's orders and, in an interview to a Chicago radio station, hinted the Patriots had previously done something similar.
The NFL later came down hard on the Jets, slapping them with a $100,000 fine for what it felt was a dangerous move and a competitive violation in attempting to gain an advantage with that sort of tactic. Westhoff's comments were also factored into the fine, which the Jets are appealing.
Alosi, in a statement, said he thought it was just best if he parted ways with the team he's spent the better part of his NFL career with. He served as the team's strength and conditioning coach since 2007, his second stint with the organization. Alosi was the Jets' assistant strength and conditioning coach from 2002-05 before jumping on board as the Falcons strength and conditioning coach in 2006.
“I’m thankful to have been a part of the New York Jets,” said Alosi, who played at Hofstra from 1996-2000 and served as the school’s assistant strength and conditioning coach in 2001. “I am especially grateful to Mr. Johnson, Mike Tannenbaum and Rex Ryan for allowing me the opportunity to be a head strength and conditioning coach in this league.
"I have many fond memories, including earning my first NFL job in 2002. After the events that have transpired, I feel it’s best for my family and me to look for a fresh start. I wish nothing but the best for the entire organization.”