Titans holdout running back Chris Johnson and his agent, Joel Segal, met with team officials earlier this week but were unable to make progress on a new contract. But if the time ever comes when Johnson and Segal ask for a trade, the answer from the Titans will be a firm “no.”
“I would think we wouldn’t do anything,” coach Mike Munchak said, per Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean. “We would think he is under contact for two more years; he is going to be a Titan, hopefully longer than that. I don’t think that is anything we’d give any consideration to. He is with us, one way or the other, and hopefully it is on the field.”
While GM Mike Reinfeldt is doing the negotiating with Segal, Munchak did his best to end any speculation the team would consider trading their prized tailback.
“I know we haven’t talked about it,” he said of a possible trade. “I don’t see it getting to that level. I just think he is going to be here. It is not like he’s not under contract. If they can’t work something out he has a two-year contract to honor.”
But Munchak did say the team would consider adding another running back the longer Johnson stays away. It wouldn’t be a premier back, however. The team would wait to see what happens after the Sept. 3 cut-down day, when rosters have to be reduced to 53 players.
“You are always playing that game, what if?” Munchak said. “We’d be fools not to have some answers if for some reason Chris didn’t come in for however long. We can’t sit here and be flat-footed, and I think Chris understands that. We have to move forward and we have to do whatever we can as a team.”