INDIANAPOLIS — Broncos coach Gary Kubiak said he and general manager John Elway have had conversations with Peyton Manning since the season ended earlier this month with a Super Bowl victory, but so far no decision has been made about the future of the quarterback.
“The bottom line is we made a decision how we’re going to go about it,” Kubiak said at the NFL Scouting Combine on Wednesday. “It’s about him taking his time to work through things, think through things. There is no hurry here. We want him to enjoy what just took place and we’ll go from there. Nothing has changed from that standpoint. That plan continues to be in place.”
Kubiak dismissed the idea that there is an uneasiness in the franchise not knowing whether Manning will be back for 2016.
“There are obviously time frames in our business,” he said, “but we kind of went through this last year and we’re going to stick to how we did it last year.”
One of the reasons for being able to handle the wait is having Brock Osweller, the backup who started seven games for the Broncos last season.
“I think he has a bright future,” Kubiak said of Osweiler, who is a free agent. “Obviously we think the world of him and want him to be a part of our football team.”
That, of course, is if Manning does not return. Many expect he will not, that he will take his second Super Bowl ring and retire. But since that victory over the Panthers, there has been no indication of which way Manning is leaning.
“I think he and John have had some conversations, I had a brief one with him yesterday, we will be talking probably today or this week,” Kubiak said. “We want him to take his time and we’ll work from there. Nothing has changed.”