In the wake of the Dolphins’ late-night suspension of guard Richie Incognito for his alleged role in bullying teammate Jonathan Martin, a report has surfaced that Incognito sent Martin text messages and voice mails that are considered threatening and racially charged. The texts and voice mails have been turned over to the NFL as part of its investigation.
Mike Garafolo of Foxsports.com reports that the threatening messages were a central part of the team’s decision to suspend Incognito indefinitely. Earlier Monday the team said the NFL Players Association had not opened an investigation into the matter. However, the union said it is keeping a close watch on the situation, and the NFL is investigating the situation.
Martin left the team early last week after a prank was played on him in the team cafeteria last Monday. Martin is now seeking unspecified treatment.
Incognito took to his Twitter account yesterday and wrote, “I want my name CLEARED” in one of his posts. That post has since been removed from his Twitter timeline.