Recent reports have indicated that the Jets don’t plan to bring back linebacker Bart Scott, but head coach Rex Ryan said today at the NFL owners’ meetings that he believes Scott will be with the team in 2012. Scott turns 32 on Aug. 18 and is coming off a disappointing season in which he was taken off the field in most passing situations.
“Yeah, I certainly think so,” Ryan said. “I know everything’s reported, but I can say this: I’ve had great discussions with Bart. He has his weight down. He probably felt he got a little too heavy last year. When we looked at it, we were going to use him as a blitzer, he got that weight up. Sometimes in your career, the longer you go, it’s a good idea to lose weight. It makes sense. Take a little weight off. He’s still a ferocious hitter. He brings that kind of intimidating presence to us.”
Scott renegotiated his contract last year and agreed to a deal that will pay him $4.2 million guaranteed this season. The Jets would have to pay that amount whether he was on the team or not. The only way they wouldn't have to pay it is if they were able to trade the linebacker.