HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. — Five-time PGA Tour winner Nick Watney tested positive Friday for the coronavirus, the first player with a confirmed infection since golf resumed its schedule last week.
Watney withdrew immediately withdrew from the RBC Heritage and must self-isolate for at least 10 days under the PGA Tour’s protocols. He did not return a telephone call seeking comment.
Watney played the opening round with Vaughn Taylor and Luke List, and a rules official notified them at the turn of the positive test.
“I was a little shocked, to be honest,” Taylor said. “Heart started racing, got a little nervous. Just hope Nick is doing well and we get through this.”
Watney missed the cut last week in the Charles Schwab Challenge at Colonial in Fort Worth, Texas. He traveled on his own to South Carolina, and his coronavirus test upon arrival at Harbour Town was negative.
Before arriving to the course for his second round, he reported symptoms consistent with COVID-19, the illness caused by the virus. Watney was tested again, and the result came back positive.
List won last week on the Korn Ferry Tour, where one player and three caddies tested positive before the event and did not come to the courses, and two non-players tested positive before this week’s event, both in Florida. He missed the cut at Hilton Head with a 73.
“It was hard to concentrate out there for me, just thinking about different stuff, and I wasn’t playing my best, anyway,” List said. “It would be nice if they had an option — you can kind of say if you want to know or not in a situation like that. I would definitely like to find out after the round next time.”
As for another test, List said even if tested, “it might not show up until a few days down the road. So there’s a lot of different scenarios.”
The tour had no positive tests of the 487 administered at Colonial, and none among the 98 players tested before taking the charter to Hilton Head or the 369 tests for those arriving on their own. Players, caddies and essential personnel have mandatory tests.
Jordan Spieth, one of four players on the PGA Tour’s policy board, didn’t sound surprised at golf’s first positive test. “The whole plan put in place was not if, but when somebody tests positive, what’s the protocol, and what are the next steps,” Spieth said. “So I feel confident, just in being on those phone calls, in what the PGA Tour is going to do going forward. Hopefully, contact tracing doesn’t lead to anybody else testing positive within the bubble.”
The tour said in a statement it has started its response plan, which includes those who have had close contact with Watney. It said it would have no further statement.
Taylor, who at 6 under after 36 holes was inside the cut line, said he had no close contact with Watney on Thursday, and he washed his hands immediately after the round. “Nick never coughed or sneezed, so I feel comfortable,” he said. As part of the contact tracing plan, Taylor, List and their caddies were to be tested immediately.
Webb Simpson was leading the tournament at 12 under-par after two rounds when the second was suspended because of inclement weather.