ERIN, Wisconsin — Evidence of E. coli bacteria was found in drinking water in one location at Erin Hills during the U.S. Open, but no incidents of illness were reported.
The U.S. Golf Association shut down the affected line and supplied bottled water to spectators.
The affected area was what tournament officials call a “hydration station” near the 12th hole. The Washington Ozaukee Health Department identified the bacteria Thursday in a sample taken from a nearby well, according to a news release issued by the department. There were no reports of bacteria at other locations on the course, which is hosting a major championship for the first time.
In a statement, the USGA said that complimentary bottles of water will be available at all of its hydration stations through the duration of the event, which is scheduled to end Sunday.
“The safety and security of our guests is of paramount importance to the USGA,” the association said in a statement.