There are some changes in this week’s rankings, beginning with Baldwin. The Bruins jump ahead of Uniondale since Baldwin won head-to-head, albeit in a close one, on Tuesday. Holy Trinity, which is having a solid CHSAA season, also moves into the top 10. Trinity fell to St. Mary’s by just one point and lost to St. John’s by three last week. In ABC-I, Elmont beat Westbury for a second time to stay in first place and the Spartans hold steady at No. 5 here.
1. Long Island Lutheran (11-3): The Crusaders beat Forest Hills at the Big Apple Classic at Baruch College last Sunday and haven’t played since.
2. St. Mary’s (11-5, 5-1 CHSAA): It was a week of close games for the Gaels. They held off Holy Trinity, 69-68, and beat St. Anthony’s, 69-66 in overtime.
3. Baldwin (12-2, 7-2 AA-I): The Bruins won their home game against Uniondale, 60-58, and followed it with a win against Valley Stream Central. Baldwin is on a 10-game win streak.
4. Uniondale (11-3, 8-1 Conference AA-I): Fell to Baldwin on Tuesday in a close one for their first defeat since Dec. 30 against Brentwood. The Knights then beat Farmingdale, 44-36 on Friday.
5. Elmont (12-1, 5-1 Conference ABC-I): Anthony Elechi had 17 points and 13 boards in a 48-46 win over Westbury to help Elmont sweep the two-game season series against the Green Dragons. Elechi also had 18 points and 12 rebounds in a win over Floral Park.
6. Westbury (9-4, 4-2 ABC-I): Defeated Hewlett, 57-54, before losing to Elmont. Still in the hunt for the ABC-I title.
7. South Side (10-3, 5-1 ABC-I): Also defeated Hewlett this week, 65-47 after winning against West Hempstead. Part of the three-team competition at the top of ABC-I.
8. Holy Trinity (7-8, 3-3 CHSAA): Lost a pair of close league games: 69-68 to St. Mary’s and 57-54 against St. John the Baptist.
9. Oceanside (11-2, 8-1 AA-II): Suffered its first league loss to Hicksville but followed it with a win over Massapequa.
10. Chaminade (8-6, 2-4 CHSAA): Kevin Hargrove had 18 points in a 76-47 win against St. Dominic and 16 in a 73-68 loss to St. John the Baptist.
On the bubble: Hicksville (11-3, 7-2 AA-II), Jericho (10-3, 4-2 ABC-II), Lawrence Woodmere Academy (15-1), Manhasset (8-4, 4-2 ABC-II), Massapequa (7-5, 5-4 AA-II), Roslyn (7-6, 3-3 ABC-II), Valley Stream Central (6-6, 4-4 AA-I), Hempstead (8-6, 4-5 AA-I), Malverne (6-5, 4-2 ABC-II).
Photo: Baldwin's Ashanti DePass, Freelance/Photo by Frank Koester, Jan. 16, 2010