Even though St. John the Baptist was upset by Holy Trinity in the CHSAA playoffs, I’m leaving them at No. 3 because the Cougars had an outstanding season. But I’ve moved Wyandanch up to No. 5 based on their nice playoff run that has earned them the Class B title and put them into Wednesday’s ABCD title game against Harborfields. The top spot in my rankings is up for grabs when No. 2 Longwood faces No. 1 Half Hollow Hills West for the Class AA title.
Zog’s Basketball Top 10
1. Half Hollow Hills West (21-0): The nationally ranked Colts (in the Top 25 in both the Sports Illustrated and USA Today polls) had no trouble advancing to the Suffolk Class AA title game. Hills West beat Copiague on Tuesday, 80-63, and then had one of its most dominant games of the season in doubling up Bay Shore, 96-48, in the semifinals Sunday night. Up next: The long-awaited showdown with No. 2 Longwood for the AA county championship on Wednesday night at 8 o’clock at Farmingdale State.
2. Longwood (19-2): The No. 2 seeded Lions handled Whitman, 86-70, on Tuesday and then used a 27-7 third quarter to race past Lindenhurst, 79-62, in Sunday’s semifinal. All season long we thought it would be the Lions against the Colts for the AA country title, and now it’s a reality. Longwood plays Hills West at Farmingdale State on Wednesday night in a matchup of the two highest scoring teams on Long Island.
3. St. John the Baptist (20-3): The unbeaten regular-season CHSAA champs were stunned by Holy Trinity, 72-69, in Sunday’s semifinals Sunday night at C.W. Post. It was a tough way to end the season for star senior guard Khaleev Ginyard, who had 40 points in the loss
4. Harborfields (19-2): The Tornadoes, top-seeded in Suffolk Class A, defeated Islip, 65-58, in Wednesday’s semifinals, then used a huge fourth quarter to defeat No. 2 Bayport-Blue Point, 69-55, on Sunday to win the school’s first-ever county championship. A trip to Glens Falls awaits Harborfields if it can beat the Nassau A champion on March 13.
5. Wyandanch (14-7): The Warriors entered the playoffs as the No. 2 seed in Class B, and are on a nice run. The defeated Hampton Bays and top-seeded Center Moriches to win the B title and knocked off Class C champ Stony Brook to reach the ABCD title game Wednesday night at 5 o’clock at Farmingdale.
6. Bayport-Blue Point (17-4): Season ended with a loss to Harborfields in the county Class A final.
7. Lindenhurst (15-6): Season ended with a loss to Longwood in the county Class AA semifinals.
8. Bay Shore (11-9): After two upsets in the playoffs, season ended with a loss to Hills West in the Class AA semifinals.
9. Center Moriches (14-5): Season ended with a loss to Wyandanch in the county Class B final.
10. Miller Place (16-4): Season ended with a loss to Bayport-Blue Point in the county Class A semifinals.
On the bubble: Greenport, Stony Brook, Southold.