Back from a week’s vacation and ready to dive into the playoffs. There were some upsets while I was gone, including Stony Brook’s exciting victory over Southold in Class C that handed the First Settlers their first loss and ended their Glens Falls dreams. In Class AA, Whitman knocked off Bellport and Bay Shore took out East Islip.
Zog’s Top 10
1. Half Hollow Hills West (19-0): Tobias Harris scored 25 points to lead the top-seeded Colts to an opening-round Class AA playoff victory over Sachem North on Friday. The League IV champion Colts host No. 8 Copiague on Tuesday.
2. Longwood (17-2): The No. 2 seeded Lions breezed past Smithtown East in their Class AA playoff opener on Tuesday. Guards Darien Davis and Tajric Boggs scored 27 points. Longwood, the League I champ, hosts No. 10 Whitman on Tuesday.
3. St. John the Baptist (20-2): The Cougars completed the first undefeated CHSAA season in school history with a victory over Holy Trinity on Friday. SJB earned a bye in the first round of the CHSAA playoffs and next plays the winner of Wednesday’s game between Holy Trinity and St. Anthony’s.
4. Harborfields (17-2): Matt Curry had 26 points and 17 rebounds in a convincing victory over Glenn on Thursday in the Class A opener for the top-seeded Tornadoes, who were the League V champions. Their next game is at home on Wednesday against No. 5 Islip at 6 p.m.
5. Bayport-Blue Point (16-3): The No. 2 seed in Class A defeated Kings Park in its playoff opener on Thursday. Miles Prendergast and Brandon Mincher scored 20 points each. The League VI champion Phantoms host No. 3 Miller Place at St. Joseph’s of Patchogue on Wednesday night.
6. Lindenhurst (14-5): The No. 3 seed in Class AA advanced with a routine victory over Commack on Friday. The Bulldogs host No. 6 West Babylon on Tuesday night.
7. Brentwood (14-5): The No. 5 seed in Class AA eliminated No. 12 Newfield on Friday and will host Bay Shore, the No. 13 seed which surprised No. 4 East Islip on Friday.
8. Miller Place (16-3): The No. 3 seed in Class A beat No. 6 Comsewogue on Thursday to set up a showdown with League VI rival Bayport-Blue Point at St. Joseph’s College on Wednesday night.
9. Center Moriches (14-4): The No. 1 seed in Class B defeated No. 4 Southampton on Thursday and will meet No. 2 seed Wyandanch on Wednesday night at Longwood.
10. West Babylon (14-5): The No. 6 seed in Class AA took down No. 11 Floyd on Friday and will visit No. 3 Lindenhurst on Tuesday night.
On the bubble: Bay Shore (10-8), Copiague (13-6), Greenport (13-6), Islip (13-6), Southold (18-1), Stony Brook (12-3), Walt Whitman (11-7), Wyandanch (12-7).