Just a few moments after Alex Concannon threaded the pass to Anthony Carchietta that resulted in the winning overtime goal for Syosset, he was still shaking his head. The shock was not over the excitement of what had happened with 10 seconds left in the extra period, giving Syosset an 8-7 victory at Hicksville Tuesday in Nassau Conference A boys lacrosse. It was more the idea that it took a goal with 10 seconds left in overtime to earn that win.

"We didn't think it was going be like this," Concannon said.

After convincing victories in the two previous games, over powerhouses East Meadow and Farmingdale by a combined score of 31-6, Syosset was starting to think they all would be that easy. Or maybe easier. But Hicksville made Syosset sweat, controlling the ball for the majority of regulation with a patient offense and keeping themselves afloat thanks to 14 saves by Ryan Toomey.

After falling behind 2-0 in the first five minutes of the game and giving up a 6-4 lead early in the fourth quarter, Syosset (5-3, 3-1) was able to come away with more than just a win. There was a moral.

"I think there was a lesson learned that we're not the team we think we are," said Carchietta, Syosset's only active senior (five others on the roster are all injured), who finished with two goals and two assists. "We can be there, we can be great, but we still have a lot to do in practice. We can't just show up and destroy teams like we thought we were going to do today."

By the time overtime rolled around, it had become abundantly clear there would be no destruction in Hicksville (3-3, 1-2). Brian Lang scored five of Hicksville's goals, including the one that tied the score at 7 with 4:18 left in regulation.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Syosset won the overtime faceoff and controlled the first two minutes of the period, but a bad pass was picked up and cleared by Toomey. Hicksville's Mike Osmundsen had inside position on his defender and was heading toward what looked like a stellar opportunity for a game-winning shot but stepped in the crease to turn the ball over with 1:17 remaining. Syosset had two man-up shots on goal in the final minute of overtime, both saved by Toomey, before Carchietta cut to the goal, caught the pass from Concannon, and ended the game with the sides even.

"We started off slow," Carchietta said. "We thought we could have finished them [earlier]. They almost got it."

Instead, Syosset got the win. And, Carchietta hopes, got the message, as well.