83° Good Evening
83° Good Evening
SportsHigh SchoolBoys Lacrosse

Belinsky, Manhasset arrive late, take off to win

Manhasset's Drew Belinsky (32) fires the ball past

Manhasset's Drew Belinsky (32) fires the ball past Southside goalie Dominic Moriarty to score in the second period. Manhasset won 12-8. (March 26, 2010) Photo Credit: Photo by Kathy Kmonicek

Manhasset's bus arrived late to the Dean G. Skelos Sports Complex in Rockville Centre, so Friday's non-league boys lacrosse game between the Indians and host South Side started about 15 minutes late.

Fifteen minutes into the game, Manhasset's offense arrived. Drew Belinsky broke a scoreless tie with 9:03 remaining in the second quarter and the Indians rolled to a 12-8 victory.

"We were just waiting for the first one to fall," said Belinsky, who scored three goals. "We had our shots in the first quarter. We knew once we got that first one they'd come rolling in."

The goals came in bunches. Manhasset (2-0) scored four goals in each of the final three quarters.

"The momentum would keep it coming," said Chris Cook, who had two goals and two assists. "All we needed to do was run our offense and get some shots in."

Ricky Buhr was a key to Manhasset's runs. He helped the Indians maintain possession by winning 16 of 18 draws. Matt Tompkins had two goals and one assist, John Thomas had two goals and Joe Mancini, Harry Kucharczyk and Pat Maroney each scored once for the Indians.

Manhasset needed the extra goals. The Indians led 10-2 early in the fourth quarter, but South Side scored six times in the frame to make it close. Gavin Ahern and Bryan Gerrato each finished with two goals and one assist for South Side (0-2). Connor Waxon had two goals and Alex Doerflein and Zach Scaduto also scored.

Cook's second goal put Manhasset ahead 12-5 with 3:10 remaining, but Ahern, Waxon and Gerrato all scored goals with under two minutes remaining to cut the deficit to 12-8 with 1:16 left.

"Anything can happen in this game," Belinsky said. "It's the fastest game on two feet."

Buhr won a hard-fought battle to grab his final faceoff of the game, tipping it to Maroney to let the Indians run out the clock. Buhr collapsed onto the field in pain after winning the draw but walked off the field on his own accord.

"It's was a great faceoff by Ricky," Cook said. "It was unfortunate that he got injured, but it ended up letting us pull out the victory."

Manhasset won the state Class C championship last season but the team isn't thinking about a repeat yet.

Said Belinsky: "The ultimate goal is just to win the next game. We play Northport next. Just practice hard this week and take it one day at a time."


We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.

More high schools