35° Good Evening
35° Good Evening
SportsHigh SchoolBoys Lacrosse

Matt Gavin scores with five-tenths of a second left to give Manhasset a 10-9 win

Manhasset' players mob Matthew Gavin, top center, after

Manhasset' players mob Matthew Gavin, top center, after his game-winning goal at the buzzer during the NYSPHSAA Class B boys lacrosse semifinal at Middletown on Wednesday, June 3, 2015. Credit: Adrian Kraus

MIDDLETOWN, N.Y. - Matt Gavin did it again, but his this game-winning goal was hardly a no-doubter.

There was doubt that Gavin would get the last shot, doubt that it beat the clock and doubt about whether he was in the crease.

"I had no idea," said Gavin, whose unassisted goal with five-tenths of a second left after picking up a ground ball near the side of the cage gave Manhasset a dramatic 10-9 victory over Yorktown last night in the state Class B semifinals played at Middletown High School. "Usually they call it 'in the crease' even if you get pushed. Thankfully they made the right call."

Replays confirmed that Gavin's shot beat the clock and that he was not in the crease.

"I didn't realize the ball would come to me," said Gavin, who like everyone else in the crowd of about 2,500 probably figured Tyler Dunn would have it. Dunn scored five goals, added two assists and won 19 of 22 faceoffs, including the final one with 26 seconds left after Yorktown had scored twice in the last 1:35 to tie it at 9.

But with the clock running down and the ball on the ground, Gavin stuffed it home for his second consecutive game-winner. Last Saturday, his laser from the wing with 28.9 seconds left beat Mount Sinai, 7-6, in the Long Island Class B title game.

"I can't believe this right now. It's an incredible feeling," Gavin said of his only goal last night.

Until that moment, it had been the Tyler Dunn Show.

Dunn scored three straight goals, helping build a 7-5 halftime lead. One of them was a highlight-worthy effort when he spun away from and ducked under a defender and fired a no-look, over-the-shoulder laser into the back of the net with 2:49 left before halftime.

After Yorktown tied it at 7, Dunn fed James Thomas to untie it with 5:07 left in the third and scored what looked like a mere insurance goal on a dodge from behind early in the fourth quarter to make it 9-7.

But Yorktown (16-5) staged some last-minute theatrics of its own. Justin Cavallo took a pass from Nick Del Bene to make it 9-8 with 1:35 left and then with just 26.4 seconds showing on the clock, a rocket from Ryan Brown tied it.

The ensuing faceoff was key, and with overtime looming, Tyler got it Dunn.


We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.

More high schools