The Big 10 and the Zog 10 differ a bit this week with regards to Suffolk. Connetquot has the top spot in boys lacrosse in the Big 10, but even though I'm quite impressed with the T-birds, I don't think their strength of schedule to date warrants a No. 1 ranking. However, if they beat Ward Melville on Wednesday -- a game I'll be covering -- then I'll certainly reconsider.
However, don't overlook West Islip, which is on a six-game winning streak since its OT loss to Sachem North on opening day, and has reclaimed my No. 1 spot. The Lions visit dangerous Smithtown West on Wednesday, so there could be more shakeup in our rankings next week. I'm also looking forward to covering the neighborhood rivalry game between Shoreham-Wading River and Rocky Point on Thursday night. Should be a huge crowd for that key Division II clash.
ZOG'S TOP 10
1. West Islip (6-1). The roar is back for the Lions as they rolled to three victories this week – scoring 43 goals along the way -- making it a six-game winning streak since a season-opening loss. Most impressive was a 16-9 triumph over previously unbeaten rival East Islip on Thursday.
2. St. Anthony’s (6-1). The Friars suffered their first loss of the season on Tuesday to Chaminade. They led 4-1 after the first quarter but then couldn’t stop the sizzling Flyers the rest of the way. Regrouped with a convincing win over Wilton on Saturday.
3. Ward Melville (6-1). Another powerhouse that suffered its first loss last week. This one was an 11-10 shocker as Whitman’s Matt Finn scored with 10 seconds left on a feed from Kevin Teresky to give the Wildcats their first win over the Patriots in school history. Ward Melville visits unbeaten Connetquot in a big one on Wednesday.
4. Connetquot (7-0). Passed its first big test in Division I by defeating host Sachem North on Thursday, 11-7, leaving Connetquot as the only unbeaten team in Suffolk. Another major test comes Wednesday when the T-birds host Ward Melville.
5. East Islip (5-1). The Redmen scored 16 in beating Floyd on Tuesday, but allowed the same number on Thursday in falling to West Islip. Still a dangerous team in Division I, which is very deep this season.
6. Sachem North (4-2). The Flaming Arrows couldn’t hold serve on their home turf against unbeaten Connetquot but remain a solid playoff team. Interesting game on Wednesday against Whitman, which upset Ward Melville last week.
7. Smithtown West (4-2). We’ll know a lot more about the Bulls this week. They visit Floyd on Monday and then host defending state champion West Islip on Wednesday.
8. Comsewogue (6-0). Very impressive comeback win over host Hauppauge in the rain and chill Friday night. The Warriors are tough, patient and feature an excellent attack.
9. Shoreham-Wading River (5-0). The neighborhood rivalry game is Friday night at Rocky Point against the once-beaten Eagles, a key Division II contest.
10. Bayport-Blue Point (6-0). The Phantoms should continue to roll with games this week against Miller Place and Babylon.
On the bubble: Rocky Point (6-1), East Hampton/Bridgehampton (7-0), Hauppauge (4-1), Eastport/South Manor (5-2).