Had the privilege of seeing one of the most exciting games of my two years on the lacrosse beat last week when East Islip rallied from a 12-4 deficit to stun Smithtown West, 17-15. If ever a game was a tale of two halves, this was it. West’s superb attack duo of Kyle Keenan and James Pannell each scored eight points in the first half as the Bulls led, 12-5. Then East Islip switched goaltenders and the move paid immediate dividends as Brian Steban made two point-blank saves early in the third period. Steban came up big the entire second half, making 12 saves, and attack Mike Rooney led a spirited offense that scored nine straight goals at one point.
ZOG’S TOP 10
1. St. Anthony’s (5-0). Clobbered Farrell, 16-1, and Fairfield Prep, 14-1, in its most recent games, but the competition gets much tougher on Tuesday when the Friars visit CHSAA rival Chaminade (4-1) in a rivalry game with big implications.
2. Ward Melville (5-0). Will Mazzone scored three goals with three assists to lead the Patriots past Westchester power Yorktown on Saturday, 9-4. WM also had an impressive 10-2 victory over Bay Shore on Friday.
3. West Islip (3-1). Starting to look like the defending state champs. A diverse offense powered victories over Smithtown East and Sachem East. Big one coming up Thursday at rival East Islip.
4. Connetquot (5-0). Nice win over Whitman, 8-5, on Friday, showing some gritty defense. The T-birds have a big Division I game on Thursday at Sachem North.
5. East Islip (4-0). They’re still buzzing over the Redmen’s improbable 17-15 victory over Smithtown West on Friday, in which they overcame a 12-4 deficit. They won’t want to spot West Islip that many goals in Thursday’s duel.
6. Sachem North (3-1). Five more goals for Mike Andreassi in a solid win over Bay Shore. The Flaming Arrows host Connetquot on Thursday and an important Division I game.
7. Smithtown West (3-2). The Bulls are dangerous, even after the tough loss to East Islip. The attack tandem of Kyle Keenan and Rob Pannell is one of the best around.
8. Comsewogue (4-0). Defeated Islip and Glenn last week to remain unbeaten in tough Division II. Important league game at Hauppauge coming up on Friday.
9. Shoreham-Wading River (3-0). Tim Rotanz totaled six goals In victories last week over Babylon and Kings Park. Islip and Eastport-South Manor are next.
10. Bayport-Blue Point (5-0). The Phantoms opened some eyes with a tense 7-5 victory over Rocky Point on Tuesday, scoring two goals in the final 1:37 to snap the tie.