There were two games last week that matched teams from my Top 10. One was a blowout, as Sachem North showed why it is the top-ranked team on Long Island in Newsday’s Big 10 poll with a 45-0 victory over Connetquot. The other contest couldn’t have been closer, as Glenn edged Bayport-Blue Point, 9-7, on a late field goal. So there is some shuffling in the rankings this week, though not at the top.
Zog’s Top 10
1. Sachem North (4-0). The Flaming Arrows looked very impressive in crushing Connetquot, 45-0, as Jesse Scanna rushed for 173 yards and three touchdowns, including runs of 53 and 79 yards, and led the defense with nine tackles and two sacks. Up next: At Northport on Friday night at 7 o’clock.
2. St. Anthony’s (4-0). Clearly, the Friars have reloaded after losing some excellent talent from last year’s squad. Six different players scored touchdowns in a 43-21 victory over Xaverian. Up next: Hosts St. Joseph by the Sea on Saturday night at 7 p.m.
3. Floyd (4-0). The Colonials outlasted Lindenhurst, 12-7, in a grueling defensive game played on a wet and muddy field. Conditions kept the offenses under control, but Floyd did show a three-pronged rushing attack in controlling clock. Up next: At Longwood on Saturday at 2 p.m.
4. Sayville (4-0). Another slow start, another fast finish for the Golden Flashes, who spotted Kings Park 14 points before rolling to a 41-26 victory as Steven Ferreira threw for 225 yards and three touchdowns. Up next: At Amityville on Saturday at 2 p.m.
5. Newfield (4-0). The magic continues for the Wolverines, who defeated Comsewogue, 26-7, as Shervon Barthelmy rushed for 214 yards and two touchdowns. They are 4-0 for only the second time in school history. Up next: At Centereach on Saturday at 2 p.m.
6. Islip (4-0). It wasn’t easy, but the Buccaneers rallied for a 20-13 victory over Eastport-South Manor, as Alex Gaviria rushed for 114 yards and two touchdowns, including a 30-yard score that gave Islip the lead in the third quarter. Up next: At Westhampton on Friday night at 6:30.
7. Glenn (4-0). Outlasted Bayport-Blue Point, 9-7, on Greg Orkiszewski’s 25-yard field goal with 7.9 seconds left in a battle for first place in Division IV. QB Ryan Rielly ran for 113 yards and passed for 177. Up next: At Stony Brook on Friday night at 7:30.
8. Bayport-Blue Point (3-1). It was an excruciating loss for the Phantoms, who were victimized by a fake punt that kept Glenn’s winning drive alive. Still, Bayport-BP’s Corey Picone and Ryan McCoy were outstanding in defeat. Up next: At Southampton on Friday night at 7 p.m.
9. Smithtown West (3-1). The Bulls dominated Half Hollow Hills East, 44-7, with Mike Barruch and James Pannell each rushing for more than 100 yards and Anthony Gatto making two interceptions. Up next: Hosts West Islip on Saturday night at 6 p.m.
10. North Babylon (3-1). The Bulldogs needed a 14-point fourth quarter to defeat West Babylon, 27-14, as Preshod McCoy scored three touchdowns, including 49-yard run in the fourth quarter. Up next: At Bellport on Saturday at 2 p.m.