1. Kellenberg (4-1): The Firebirds began the week in the Lady Blazers Holiday Classic on Tuesday and lost 76-38 to St. John’s College High School (D.C.), which has three Division I players and lost its only game to Bergtraum, which is ranked No. 9 in the country by USA Today. Kellenberg bounced back to hand St. Francis Prep its first loss of the season, 58-44. Emma O’Connor had 25 points, 10 rebounds, three blocked shots and three steals and Katie Cunningham had 15 points and six assists.
2. St. Anthony’s (8-1): The Friars went 3-0 to win the KSA Holiday Tournament in Orlando last week. As usual, it was balanced scoring again as at least eight players scored in each of the three games. The Friars are playing some of the best basketball on Long Island. They host St. John the Baptist on Tuesday.
3. North Babylon (2-1): The Bulldogs lost to Midwood (Brooklyn) in the Lady Blazers Holiday Classic at Bergtraum, 55-47 last week. Bria Hartley scored 26 points. The Bulldogs have a lot of young players and will get better as the season goes along.
4. Sachem East (4-3): The Flaming Arrows lost to Bergtraum last week, 65-48. Kristen Doherty scored 13 points. Sachem East has a league home game against Commack and plays at Ward Melville this week.
5. St. John the Baptist (2-6): Injuries and a very difficult schedule have the Cougars record at what it is, but they are still one of the top teams on the Island. They went 1-2 at the Diamond State Classic in Delaware last week. Alexis Smith is still out with a broken ankle, Kamala Thompson injured her shoulder on Tuesday and missed Wednesday’s game and Brianna Thomas injured her ribs in the second quarter on Thursday.
6. Long Island Lutheran (8-1): The Crusaders won two games in the Big Apple Christmas Classic at Bishop Ford High School. Jessica DeNicola had 21 points and 17 rebounds in a 66-39 win over St. Mary-Bayview (R.I.) and Paige Kriftcher had 20 points and four assists in a 73-21 win over Bishop Loughlin (Brooklyn). Then the Crusaders beat Uniondale, 62-41, on Saturday. Taylor Brown had 20 points, six assists and five steals.
7. St. Mary’s (6-1): The Gaels had an impressive 60-36 win over Midwood (Brooklyn) on Sunday in the Aviator Winter Classic in Brooklyn. Shannon Flynn had 31 points and five assists and Maddy Jankowski scored 22 points, including six three-pointers. St. Mary’s will host Holy Trinity on Tuesday.
8. Ward Melville (8-1): A great week for the Patriots, who won three games to win the Suffolk Shootout at Northport. They beat Kings Park, one of the top teams in Suffolk Class A, 69-52. Then they defeated two of the better teams in Suffolk Class AA. They beat Northport in the semifinals, 54-45, and Georgia Holland had 14 points and nine assists and Kaitlyn Carballeira had 10 points and 17 rebounds in a 39-37 win over Whitman in the final.
9. Holy Trinity (6-2): The Titans went 1-1 at the Holly and Hoops Tournament in Maryland and then defeated St. Francis Prep (Queens), 57-34, in the final of the Holy Trinity Holliday Tournament. Tournament MVP Kelly Carey had 21 points, four assists and four steals.
10. Division (6-0): Nicolette Parmese had 10 points and 11 rebounds in a 62-23 win over Bethpage. Division also has wins over South Side, which just handed Garden City its first loss, and Uniondale.