Newsday’s Kenny DeJohn recaps the week of Long Island girls volleyball, starting with a look at the upstart Sharks of Eastport-South Manor and finishing with other notables from the middle of October.
All records and results are current as of Wednesday, Oct. 17, at 4 p.m.
Look out for the ESM Sharks
Eastport-South Manor is new to Suffolk Class A after spending time in Class AA. A successful team in the higher classification, the Sharks are proving that they’re now the team to beat in Class A.
The Sharks defeated Kings Park, 3-1, on Monday, Oct. 15, the second time this season they’ve beaten the seven-time defending Long Island Class A champions.
An early-season loss to Westhampton was a hiccup, but ESM has responded with a 10-0 record in League V and a 14-1 record overall.
Deanna Colondona has been a consistent contributor, and she contributed 22 digs and 15 kills against Kings Park. Amanda Undari had 26 assists and 10 kills, Sophia Calise had 26 digs and Kaileigh Brandow had 12 kills.
There are other strong Suffolk teams in Class A – East Hampton, Westhampton, Sayville and Kings Park – so ESM’s road to a possible county championship isn’t simple. If nothing else, the Sharks have proven they’re a force.
- North Shore and Bellmore JFK have been battling it out in Nassau A-II, and the Vikings came out with a 3-1 win over the Cougars on Oct. 15. Milagros Buschfrers had 12 kills, seven digs and two digs. Amber Diaz had 11 kills and her twin sister Jade had 12 digs, six kills and four aces. North Shore is 10-0. Bellmore is 7-2.
- Plainview-Old Bethpage JFK earned a big 3-1 win over Massapequa in Nassau AA-C1 on Oct. 10, riding the contributions of Melena Aldorisio, who had 11 kills. Kayla King had 18 digs, and Emily Chen and Julia Masier combined for 31 assists.
- Patchogue-Medford earned a 3-2 win over Ward Melville in Suffolk I on Oct. 12, putting both teams at 6-4. Kayla Martin had 15 kills, and Caitlin Dellecave had 30 assists and five aces. The Raiders trailed 2-0, including a 12-25 loss in the second set.
- Commack still is rolling in Suffolk AA, but the Cougars dropped their first set of the season in a 3-1 win over Sachem East on Oct. 10. Emily Haber had 15 digs, Abby Harper and Abbey Dummler had 12 kills and Gabby D’Agostino had 18 assists.
- St. Anthony’s is back near the top of the CHSAA after the Friars defeated Kellenberg in straight sets on Oct. 16. Mary Grace Hartmann had 18 kills and five blocks, Paige Savitsky had 10 kills and Taylor Morrell had 35 assists. The Friars are 9-1, while Sacred Heart leads the league at 10-0.
Newsday’s Top 10
Long Beach (Last week: 1)
South Side (3)
Sacred Heart (4)
Smithtown West (8)
East Hampton (10)
Eastport-South Manor (unranked)
On the cusp (in alphabetical order): Bayport-Blue Point, Kings Park, Massapequa, Sachem East, St. Anthony’s, Wantagh
Games to watch
- Thursday, Oct. 18: Plainview-Old Bethpage JFK at Long Beach, 4:30 p.m.
- Friday, Oct. 19: Hewlett at Bellmore JFK, 4:45 p.m.
- Saturday, Oct. 20: Tournament at Smithtown West featuring St. Anthony’s, Bayport-Blue Point, and more, 8 a.m.
- Monday, Oct. 22: Bayport-Blue Point at Mattituck, 4:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, Oct. 23: Northport at Whitman, 6 p.m.