Nick Ventiere, a wrestler at East Islip, was rushed to Good Samaritan Hospital in West Islip one week ago after he was found unresponsive in his bed by his mother before school.
Ventiere (pictured right), who wrestled at 125 and 130 pounds this season, was in severe respiratory distress from a drug overdose. It was unknown what Ventiere, 17, took, but it was reported to be two different types of pills. Lab tests are pending, and Ventiere has told his parents he isn't sure what he took.
Doctors revived him last Tuesday and he stayed in the hospital for three days. He was recuperating at home on antibiotics, but had to return to the hospital yesterday with breathing complications.
Here is the complete story from Gregg Sarra and Jennifer Sinco Kelleher, which appears in today's paper.
Said Nick's dad, Scott Ventiere: "It was surreal. They asked us to leave the emergency room and the priest went in to give our son his last rites. His body crashed due to a loss of oxygen and he flatlined. We lost him. I could see him through an opening in an emergency room curtain and I said what I thought was my final goodbye."
The Ventiere parents were unaware of any drug use before this incident.