34° Good Morning
34° Good Morning

Schremp's goal in shootout gives Islanders the win

Scott Gordon wasn't surprised to see Rob Schremp score the deciding goal in the Islanders' 2-1 shootout win over Columbus at Nassau Coliseum last night.

Not with his skill. Not with the hands that Gordon described as "second to none on our team."

Schremp showed why he deserves such faith. He faked and picked the top left corner against Blue Jackets goaltender Steve Mason for the goal that held up as the game-winner in the third round of the shootout.

"I'm not surprised," Gordon said. "That's why I chose him."

Schremp's winner preserved an outstanding 41-save performance by Dwayne Roloson and gave the Islanders their third win in four games.

"I think we finally got our swagger back at home," said Josh Bailey, who gave the Islanders a first-period lead with his opportunistic goal, which ended a 14-game goalless streak.

Jeff Tambellini missed wide and Frans Nielsen met Mason's stick in the first two rounds and Roloson stopped the Blue Jackets' Kristian Huselius and Rick Nash. Schremp's beauty gave the Islanders the edge, and defenseman Fedor Tyutin couldn't answer.

"It was great to score and hold on to the win like that," Schremp said.

Schremp's goal added a positive footnote to a game marred by the Islanders' struggling power play.

The team's penalty-killing unit's 3-for-3 effort extended its perfect record to four consecutive games, but the power play continued to come up empty.

In the past nine games, the Islanders have scored only one power-play goal in 36 attempts. It failed in four chances in the third period last night.

Bailey gave the Islanders a 1-0 lead at 10:04 in the first when he hustled to beat defenseman Jan Hejda and tap in a dangling puck in the crease. Roloson and the Islanders clung to that lead into the third period.

After a scoreless second period, the Islanders were awarded their first power-play opportunity of the game at 1:15 in the third when RJ Umberger was called for tripping. Defenseman Mathieu Roy joined him in the box on a delay-of-game penalty 1:13 later and that gave the Islanders 47 seconds of five-on-three.

The team came up short and an agitated Coliseum crowd had no problem voicing its displeasure. The crowd was then subdued into silence when Umberger tied the game later in the period as he swiveled past Richard Park and swept in a backhanded shot to beat Roloson at 9:47.

Defenseman Andy Sutton gave the Islanders a third power-play chance at 13:52 in the third when he obliterated Umberger along the boards, then refused to tangle with Roy after he dropped the gloves.

But Schremp took an interference penalty to negate the remaining 32 seconds of the opportunity and the Islanders failed to convert on their fourth and final power play.

Bailey almost closed the deal as he hit the post with less than a minute to play in overtime, but instead Schremp and Roloson combined in the shootout to claim the two points for the Islanders.

"Rolie's awesome," Schremp said. "He goes into that mode and he just shuts it down. He makes key saves at key times."

Sign up for Newsday’s Islanders texts with a 14-day free trial at

New York Sports