1. Stars over stars. Alex Ovechkin and Nicklas Backstrom got it done. Rick Nash, Brad Richards and Marian Gaborik didn’t. Not in the game or in the shootout. Well, Gaborik wasn’t in the shootout, and neither was Chris Kreider. The rookie got some big-line time in the third, because the coach said he wanted someone to hunt down pucks. Another line shuffle coming today at practice, which by the way, is 11:30?
2. No excuses, and we’ve said this before, but missing Marc Staal leaves a hole in the D. Steve Eminger played 22-plus but Dan Girardi, a warrior, is a wounded one. Needs more than the last two days off, and isn’t going to get it.
3. Speaking of D, Roman Hamrlik, that waiver claim, had two shifts in the third period.
4. Martin Biron time? Not in Philly, I don’t think, but Montreal perhaps.
5. Trade deadline. Tick, tock. Pens added depth. Bruins will. Montreal is tres formidable. Somehow, even though they say they don’t look at the standings, not the coach or the players, that No. 6 spot, to face the SE conference champ, seems like the best shot for the Rangers to get outta the first round. That is, if they make the playoffs. 17 games to go. 34 points on the table. They’ll need 22-23, I figure.