1. Tortorella says rookie Chris Kreider is fighting for a roster spot, but adds that he had a very good day. Doesn't think Kreider has any illusions that a spot is locked up. Has "gifts", especially speed, but needs to improve whole game.
2. Brad Richards out for second day with flu, so lines are muddled again. Torts says he would like him here, but not "major concern" because of the way he organized workouts, etc. during lockout.
3. Lundqvist will handle brunt of work in net during season (Me, I'm expecting maybe 37-38 games, given what Torts said next). The coach on Biron: "I think he played 20-plus last year, he won’t play that. But the same philosophy will go into it. We felt it helped Marty, we felt it helped the team and more importantly it helped Hank to get the proper practice time with Ben and not rely on continually playing. It’s going to change the numbers but our philosophy will stay the same.”
4. Second session, conditioning, was more intense than yesterday.
5. Gordie Clark, director of player personnel, provided a brief update on AHLers Marek Hrivik (concussion) and big D Dylan McIlrath. Doesn't believe Hrivik will have a long-term issue; McIlrath, who has missed a chunk of time with a dislocated knee and suspensions, needs ice time and will remain with the Whale.