1. The six goals were a high for the season. The last time was Nov. 25, 2011, a 6-3 win at Washington.
2. It was the first time in franchise history that three players scored a goal while making their debut in the same game.
3. The last time the Rangers had 3 PPG was exactly a year ago, against Philly. They were 3-for-4 tonight, 3 for 6 back then.
4. J.T. Miller was sent to Hartford to be on the AHL roster and eligible for the playoffs, and recalled. Chris Kreider and Jesper Fast remained with the Whale.
5. Marc Staal (eye) is progressing and was working out in the training center, but declined to speak with the media.
Some extra quotes:
Torts: “Clowe’s first shift is what he is. He’s going to bang and he’s going to create. He had a big hit on (Derek) Engelland and a scoring chance. You can see Brassard’s skill. He was good on faceoffs. Moore is the one I’m really interested in. He’s a terrifc skater and I thought he did a really good job defending and made some really good reads.”
More Torts: “I met (Derek) Dorsett (broken clavicle) before the game and he’s thrilled to be here and you can just see it, he’s full of energy.”
Ryane Clowe: “I know it’s only one game, but I felt like the last couple weeks, my game has been where it needs to be, the puck just wasn’t going in. To come here, fresh start, my gut feeling was telling me I would fit in pretty well here. I thought for the first game, I jelled pretty well with that line.”
Henrik Lundqvist, who passed Ed Giacomin for second all-time with his 268th win: “We were definitely a more in your face type of team, and we didn’t give them much room. The forecheck was outstanding.”
Derick Brassard, who wore No. 16 and had a career-high four points: “I’ve known Rick (Nash) for awhile. They obviously have a great team and when we were coming in on the plane, we were excited. It’s a great chance for us to show what we have, and we just want to help in the push for the playoffs….We learned about the trade at 3 o’clock. And by the time we packed everything and got to MSG it was 15 minutes before warm-ups. "
Brian Boyle, who also had a career-high four points: “Me and Clowey were just trying to work with each other in front of the net, trying to create a little havoc...It's nice to be here."
More Lundqvist: “We had so much energy, the start was the key. Once we took over the game, they (Pittsburgh) looked kind of tired mentally. After 15 straight wins, you have to expect a letdown.”
Lundqvist on Gaborik: “It’s sad to see someone leave that you got to know, but it’s part of the game. I really wish Gabby the best, he’s such a great player and great teammate.”