TODAY'S PAPER
59° Good Morning
59° Good Morning
SportsHockeyRangers

NHLPA weighing new NHL proposal to end lockout

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, foreground, arrives with deputy

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, foreground, arrives with deputy commissioner Bill Daly as the NHL and the players' association resume negotiations in Toronto. (Oct. 16, 2012) Credit: AP

 

                       Finally, it’s a start.   

                      And the puck is in the players’ end with a chance to move the game forward.    

                      In what appears to be a major step toward serious bargaining on a new collective bargaining agreement that would end the NHL lockout, the league today offered a proposal that calls for a 50-50 split in revenues with the players association, no rollbacks in existing contracts, and a condensed 82-game season that would begin Nov. 2.

                     “It was done in the spirit of getting a deal done,” said NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman. The offer is apparently contingent on having a signed agreement in 10 days.

                      The league locked out the players on Sept. 15, when the previous CBA expired, and the entire pre-season schedule, as well as the first two weeks of the regular season, were cancelled.

                      The players had been receiving 57 percent of revenues in the last agreement. “It’s not a short offer and we need to read it and understand it,” said NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr, who met with Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly in Toronto. “Then we’ll get back with the NHL today or Wednesday.”  Fehr called the plan, which is for at least six years, “an improvement in some respects” and that “we share the view” of aiming for an 82-game season.

                    Union leaders were expected to have a conference call with the PA’s executive board later this afternoon.

                    According to Sportsnet, the definitions of hockey-related revenues and arbitration would remain in place, but contract lengths would be limited to five years, and an entry-level deal would rise from three to four years.

 

 

                      Finally, it’s a start.   

                      And the puck is in the players’ end with a chance to move the game forward.    

                      In what appears to be a major step toward serious bargaining on a new collective bargaining agreement that would end the NHL lockout, the league today offered a proposal that calls for a 50-50 split in revenues with the players association, no rollbacks in existing contracts, and a condensed 82-game season that would begin Nov. 2.

                     “It was done in the spirit of getting a deal done,” said NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman. The offer is apparently contingent on having a signed agreement in 10 days.

                      The league locked out the players on Sept. 15, when the previous CBA expired, and the entire pre-season schedule, as well as the first two weeks of the regular season, were cancelled.

                      The players had been receiving 57 percent of revenues in the last agreement. “It’s not a short offer and we need to read it and understand it,” said NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr, who met with Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly in Toronto. “Then we’ll get back with the NHL today or Wednesday.”  Fehr called the plan, which is for at least six years, “an improvement in some respects” and that “we share the view” of aiming for an 82-game season.

                    Union leaders were expected to have a conference call with the PA’s executive board later this afternoon.

                    According to Sportsnet, the definitions of hockey-related revenues and arbitration would remain in place, but contract lengths would be limited to five years, and an entry-level deal would rise from three to four years.

  

Comments

We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.

New York Sports