Good Evening
Good Evening

Hoyas destroyed by Ohio in first round of NCAA Tournament

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - How about a standing O for Ohio! The MAC champion Bobcats, who had a losing record in conference play, have found their way in March and now boast an NCAA Tournament win for the first time in 27 years.

Georgetown might want to skip the tourney next time it's in Providence.

Armon Bassett scored 32 points to lead the 14th-seeded Bobcats to a 97-83 win over the third-seeded Hoyas last night in the first round of the Midwest Regional.

In early March, no one expected Ohio (22-14) to be in this position. The team had just finished a 7-9 season in Mid-American Conference play and entered the conference tournament as the ninth seed.

Four wins later, Ohio was in the 65-team field.

Forty minutes later, the Bobcats are in the second round.

Coach John Groce still wouldn't call it the biggest win in team history.

"I certainly think it's one of them," he said. "What it does more than anything is it gives belief in our guys in what we're doing."

Ohio seized the lead early on its three-point shooting and never had a serious letdown the rest of the way.

The Hoyas (23-11) did make a small run in the second half that cut a 19-point lead to seven. No worries. D.J. Cooper, who scored 23 points, nailed a three-pointer to the delight of all those green-clad fans who made the trip and cheered them on the whole way. The Bobcats cruised from there to their sixth straight victory.

Ohio was one of five double-digit seeds to pull off an upset yesterday, joining Old Dominion, Murray State, Washington and St. Mary's.

"There were some times when the only people that believed in what we were doing and where we were going were the guys in the locker room and the administration," Groce said.

Chris Wright led the Hoyas (23-11) with 28 points.

Georgetown coach John Thompson III said a day earlier that his team was playing its best basketball of the season. It certainly didn't extend into the tournament opener.

The Hoyas looked sensational in winning the first three games of the Big East Tournament before losing to West Virginia in the final, and they appeared to have positioned themselves as a legitimate Final Four threat.

It wasn't to be.

"We really thought we could make some noise in this tournament," Georgetown guard Austin Freeman said. "We really didn't imagine we would be one and done."

The Hoyas had a rough time in Providence back in 1989, too, when they narrowly beat No. 16 seed Princeton 50-49. At least they won in '89.

This time the Hoyas were flustered and frustrated throughout. After being whistled for an offensive foul, Greg Monroe, on his back, pounded the court in disbelief and anger.

Monroe had 19 points and 13 rebounds, and Hollis Thompson scored 16 points.

Now the Bobcats have something to show for a turbulent season. They opened conference play with four straight losses, lost one player for the season with a broken hand and saw DeVaughn Washington, who had 12 points last night, get suspended five games for team violations. Groce even kicked a player off the team.

Said Groce, "I'm excited for our guys with everything they've been through."

New York Sports