Nate Marquardt was not medically cleared to fight last Sunday on UFC Live on Versus 4 because of a treatment surrounding low testosterone levels, he said Tuesday on "The MMA Hour."
"I was not medically cleared to fight becuase of a situation i've been dealing with since August of last year," Marquardt said.
Marquardt, who was supposed to make his welterweight debut against Rick Story and instead was cut from the UFC, said he went to his doctor back then and he recommended hormone replacement therapy.
He notified the UFC and received treatment through the end of 2010, he said, and applied for and received a therapeutic use waiver from New Jersey to fight Dan Miller at UFC 128 last March.
After his fight, a win, Marquardt went off treatment for eight weeks, then took three blood tests and had them reviewed by an endocrinologist, per the requirements of the New Jersey State Athletic Commission, he said.
That endocrinologist recommended he go back on treatment for low testosterone, as did Marquardt's primary care physician, he said. That was three weeks prior to the fight against Story.
Marquardt underwent treatment for two weeks and took a blood test, he said. "That test came back high," Marquardt said. At that point, the doctor said he should go off the aggressive treatment.
"As soon as he was recommended to come off treatment, he did," manager Lex McMahon said.
Marquardt and his attorney stressed that they followed proper medical and professional protocol every step of the way.
In 2005, Marquardt was suspended six months in Nevada for testing positive for high levels of nandralone. Marquardt said Tuesday (and many times before) began taking an over-the-counter supplement similar to androstendione (yes, that's the "andro" made infamous by Mark McGwire).