The Super Bowl is not the only sporting event to trot out some good commercials. Each year, the Daytona 500 telecast airs some really good spots. Granted, most of them include NASCAR drivers. Here are the ones we liked:
1. Toyota's Kyle Busch and the fan-office worker who designs his car. At first glance it was a bit silly. But by the second time I watched it, I thought it was hysterical. Kyle is great in these spots. Nice cameo by Darrell Waltrip.
2. Gillette shaving commercial. Again, thanks to Kyle Busch, who's head is on a platter at a restaurant. He asks the patrons if they've tried Gillette's new shaving product. A cameo by Denny Hamlin.
3. Chevy's Jimmie Johnson commercial. His most memorable ride was when he drove his baby daughter home from the hospital.
4. The tribute to Dale Earnhardt.
5. The NASCAR-AARP hunger commercial.
The Carl Edwards Subway commercial was OK. Carl is generally very good in these spots, he just needed better material to work with. The NAPA Michael Waltrip ad was really bad.