According to a release sent out by ESPN, the network's coverage of motor sports earned five Sports Emmy Award nominations, among an industry-leading 54 nominations earned by ESPN, Inc.
The five nominations in motor sports included both NASCAR and the Indianapolis 500.
* Outstanding Live Sports Special: The Indy 500
* Outstanding Technical Team Remote: NASCAR on ESPN
* Outstanding Technical Team Studio: ESPN Pit Studio and ESPN Craftsman Tech Garage
* Outstanding Production Design/Art Direction: The Indy 500
* Outstanding Editing: NASCAR Sprint Cup Season in Review (produced by NASCAR Media Group for ESPN2)
In addition, ESPN’s marketing department received a nomination for Outstanding Sports Promotional Announcement: NASCAR on ESPN - Feel Your Heart Race
ESPN has won 19 Sports Emmy Awards for motor sports in its history, 17 during the 1990s and one in each of the last two years since the network’s return to NASCAR. Overall, ABC has won 160 Sports Emmys since the awards were first given in 1980, while ESPN has won 128 in 21 years of eligibility.