It was a dramatic finish at the 100th Indianapolis 500. JR Hildebrand crashed in the final lap, allowing Dan Wheldon an opening to drive through and win.
Danica Patrick, who led late in the race, finished 10th. A late pit for gas limited her chances for victory. Hildebrand finished second, Graham Rahal was third, Tony Kanaan was fourth and Oriel Servia was fifth.
Some other notes throughout the broadcast:
* ABC did a great job balancing the history of the event with the current race. The leaderboard and small screen shot of the track during commercials was excellent.
* Long Island's Howard Kroplick and his 1909 Alco racer - the Black Beast - were back at Indy for a ceremonial first lap. The Black Beast ran in the first Indy 500 in 1911.
* Last year's winner Dario Franchitti finished 12th.
* Diabetic Charlie Kimball finished 13th, one lap down.
* Check out what former driver and ABC analyst Scottt Goodyear had to say in the blog about the Indy 500.
Here is what the AP reported about the finish:
INDIANAPOLIS - (AP) -- Dan Wheldon won the Indianapolis 500 when leader JR Hildebrand slammed the wall on the final turn Sunday.
Wheldon captured his second Indy 500 in his first race of the year, getting behind the wheel in a one-race deal for Bryan Herta Autosport.
But this one will be remembered for Hildebrand, a rookie from California, needing to make it through only one turn to win his Indy debut.
Instead, he got too high coming through the fourth turn and slammed the wall. Wheldon went past to take the checkered flag, while Hildebrand's crumpled machine slid across in second place.