The Nassau County man who was zapped with a stun gun at a Jets-Cowboys game last year is suing the Jets, Giants, and the man who stunned him, among others.
Ian Cummings is asking for $2 million in compensation for "severe" injuries, medical expenses and lost earnings as a result of the Sept. 11, 2011, incident.
A suit filed in the Eastern District of New York said the teams and stadium management share the blame for lax security that allowed a South Carolina man, Leroy McKelvey, 60, into the stadium with the stun gun, especially since the incident occurred on the anniversary of the 2001 terrorist attacks.
McKelvey was arrested during the game by New Jersey State Police and charged with eight counts, including aggravated assault, which carries a 5- to 10-year sentence if he is convicted.
He appeared in Bergen County Superior Court last week and pleaded guilty to possession of a stun gun, an offense that typically receives probation. His sentencing is scheduled for Dec. 7.
McKelvey's case was scheduled to go to trial next month and he was prepared to argue that he acted in self-defense, his Newark-based lawyer Navarro Gray said last week. Gray was not available for comment Sunday. Witnesses at the stadium had said that fans in McKelvey's section became angry when McKelvey, who was dressed in a Cowboys jersey, refused to stand during the national anthem.
The Jets and Giants both use the stadium, ranked No. 1 for safety by Security magazine's "Security 500" in the Arenas/Stadiums/Leagues/Entertainment division last year. Giants officials were not available to comment on the lawsuit, and a spokesman for the Jets declined to comment.
With Jim Baumbach and Anthony M. DeStefano