The U.S. is about to take on the world's top team, Spain, in a tune-up match for next week's Gold Cup.
The last time these teams met, the U.S. picked up its first win in four tries against the Spainiards, upsetting them, 2-0, at the Confederations Cup in South Africa. Some notes of interest as we get ready for kickoff:
* The U.S. is 9-1-2 all-time at Gillette Stadium. This is the first U.S.-Spain match on U.S. soil.
* The U.S. is looking for its first win of 2011 after a pair of draws against Chile and Argentina and a loss to Paraguay in its loast outing (March 29).
* Only one team contributed two players to Team USA. Tim Ream and Juan Agudelo play for the New York Red Bulls of the MLS.
* Earlier today, the U.S. inducted its 2011 class into the Hall of Fame. It included Cobi Jones, Eddie Pope and Earnie Stewart in the Player category, Bruce Murray as a Veteran and Bob Gansler as a Builder.
* The average age of the U.S. team is 26.6.
* The youngest player on today's roster is Agudelo (18). The oldest is backup keeper Marcus Hahnemann (38).