Hyeon Chung, whose spectacular run in the Australian Open was cut short by deep foot blisters, has been forced to pull out of the inaugural New York Open at Nassau Coliseum because of the severity of the injury.
“I had been really looking forward to playing in front of the fans there as it’s one of my favorite cities,” Chung said in a statement. “I was especially looking forward to seeing many Korean fans there. My feet have still not recovered from the events in Melbourne so I need more time.”
The 21-year-old Korean, who won the Next Gen ATP Finals in Milan last November, reached the semifinals of the Australian when the blisters caused him to retire against eventual champion Roger Federer.
New York Open organizers announced that American Sebastian Korda, who at 17 won the Australian Open junior title, has been given a wild card into the tournament to take Chung’s place. Korda is the world’s No. 1 junior player and the son of Petr Korda, a former Australian Open champion and also the champion of the 1992 Hamlet Cup when it was played in Commack.
“Naturally, we are disappointed that Hyeon had to withdraw, but clearly his foot injuries, as many of us have seen digitally and socially, validate the physician’s instruction not to play,” tournament director Josh Ripple said in a statement. “In the same breath, we are proud to present the world’s No. 1 junior and Australian Open junior champion, Sebi Korda, to the New York market as one of our main draw wildcard entries. There’s no bigger stage to debut your skills than New York, and we are certain the community will love watching him compete.”
The New York Open, the first ATP Tour event to be played on Long Island since the demise of the old Hamlet Cup after the 2004 event, begins Feb. 11 and includes top Americans John Isner and Sam Querrey, along with Kei Nishikori and last year’s U.S. Open finalist Kevin Anderson.