STAMFORD - Emergency crews spent Saturday morning extinguishing a house fire in Stamford that has left a family homeless.

The incident occurred on Summit Ridge Road.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Fire crews say five people and a dog were home when smoke detectors went off. Officials say the family thought they were set off by their cooking breakfast, but investigators say they believe the fire started in the living room and spread to the second floor.

The family will either seek help through the Red Cross or stay with family members for the immediate future.

There were no injuries. Officials are investigating what sparked the blaze.