A cozy cabin is the perfect place to connect with your clan. Here are five scenic spots to consider:
1. Snow Mountain Ranch, Granby, Colorado. It started on the archery range. Then the kids tackled the climbing wall, hiked on scenic trails, paddled canoes and careened across the zip line. At this high-octane, YMCA camp, family members of all ages can climb, hike, canoe and zip line — then share stories around the campfire come nightfall. Sleep in cozy cabins or check out the yurt village. Lodge rooms and campsites are also available.
2. Historic Harding Cabin, Mount Sterling, Ohio. You can check into what was once the private hideaway of President Warren G. Harding in Ohio’s Deer Creek State Park. The restored yet rustic multilevel cabin was constructed at the close of World War I. With a full-length screened porch overlooking the 1,277-acre lake, it’s easy to imagine why Harding might have retreated to the picturesque spot to gain a little perspective.
3. 320 Guest Ranch. Big Sky, Montana. Wake to the wide Montana sky and prepare for a day of hiking, horseback riding and fly-fishing on the ranch’s private stretch of the Gallatin River, made famous in the iconic film “A River Runs Through It.” The 320’s proximity to nearby Yellowstone National Park provides day trip options or an ideal extension to your ranch experience.
4. Brooks Lake Lodge, Dubois, Wyoming. At this historic lodge you’ll have the vast Wyoming wilderness right outside your door. High mountain lakes, miles of hiking, skiing, snowshoeing and horseback trails provide plenty of options for outdoor fun. One- and two-bedroom rustic but restored cabins are nestled among the Spruce and Pine trees of the Pinnacle Mountains.
5. Oglebay Resort. Wheeling, West Virginia. Check into a fireplace-warmed cabin tucked in the trees yet a stone’s throw from the comfortable lodge popular for its proximity to the indoor swimming pool and restaurant dining. Walking and bike paths weave through 1,700 acres of rolling hills. Make time for golf, horseback riding or the extraordinary light show underway during the holiday season.