Summer’s almost here and it’s the perfect time to get back to nature with the kids. Here are five camping ideas to consider.
1. REI SIGNATURE CAMPING For those families who want to go deep into a national park but also appreciate a deluxe experience, you have options. Oversize tents are outfitted with cots, comfy bedding, floor coverings and lighting. Community areas are a great gathering place for families, with hammocks, covered dining areas, outdoor games and twinkle lighting creating a festive atmosphere. French press coffee and regional cuisine will be delivered to your tent. Destinations include Zion, Yosemite and the Great Smoky Mountains.
2. STARLITE CLASSIC CAMPGROUND, CANON CITY, COLORADO Travel down memory lane by staying in a vintage camper like the pink Classic Sally or the 1950s-style Tacy, reminiscent of the title vehicle of the 1954 Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz movie “The Long, Long Trailer.” Or snooze in the Flamingo Lounge, complete with iconic pink flamingo ornaments in front. Visit nearby Royal Gorge Bridge, the nation’s highest suspension bridge.
3. GEORGIA STATE PARKS The state’s First Time Camper Program helps newbies enjoy a stress-free two-night campground stay with all the right gear — including marshmallow roasting sticks — donated by Coleman, REI and North Face. Park staff and volunteers can help you and your clan set up your tent.
4. MOUNT WASHINGTON VALLEY, NEW HAMPSHIRE By day, discover natural swimming holes and waterfalls. Hike in the expansive White Mountain National Forest. Paddle along the Saco River. Choose your home base from eight family-oriented campgrounds in Mount Washington Valley. Sleep in tents, bring an RV or access a family cabin. The campgrounds offer themed events and amenities with families in mind.
5. C LAZY U, GRANBY, COLORADO Enjoy a day filled with scenic trail rides, hiking or fishing, and dinner in the lodge. Then retreat to your own outpost, guided by a ranch hand, where spacious, fully furnished tents await. Enjoy stories and s’mores around the campfire before settling under cozy covers. Two tents are available, one with a king bed, another with three twins.