If you plan to rent a car this summer, here are some ideas to consider before you put the pedal to the metal.
- You can prepay for a rental car and usually get a better rate. Before you make the reservation, find out what penalties your rental company might assess if you change your “pay-it-now” reservation.
- Be aware of fees that drive up the price.
- If your destination is off the beaten path, try flying into a larger market, then renting a car and driving to your destination.
- Instead of calling a rental car agency, contact a travel agent. They often have relationships with the rental companies and can get discounted rates.
- Look for flash sales. You can find them through newsletters and social media.
- Got a problem? Take it to social media. Rental car companies, like many industries, don’t want your ill will in the Twitterverse.