A reckless, unlicensed driver led police on a wild early-morning chase Tuesday along two highways and local Yonkers streets before scuffling with an arresting officer, police said.

Eli Robinson, 33, of Vineyard Avenue in Yonkers, faces numerous misdemeanor charges and traffic violations in the incident, Westchester County police spokesman Kieran O'Leary said.

At 1:52 a.m., Westchester County Police Officer Michael Petruolo was standing outside his squad car on the Yonkers Avenue exit ramp of the northbound Saw Mill River Parkway, doing a traffic safety check of passing vehicles, O'Leary said. He saw a green Subaru start up the ramp, then swerve back onto the Saw Mill in an effort to avoid the officer.

Petruolo chased the Subaru and tried to pull it over, but the driver wouldn't stop, police said.

Robinson then exited at Palmer Road, turned off his headlights and drove the wrong way down Clarendon Street in a bid to get away, according to police. He continued along local streets before driving onto the southbound New York State Thruway and speeding up to more than 100 mph, police said.

Petruolo was able to stop the Subaru near the Cross County Parkway interchange.

"Officer Petruolo got a little bit ahead of him and was able to bring him to a stop without any contact by boxing him in between the squad car and a [concrete] barrier," O'Leary said.

Robinson struggled when Petruolo tried to arrest him, and after a scuffle, was subdued by Petruolo and Officer David Lincoln, who had heard the pursuit on the police radio and arrived as backup, O'Leary said.

The incident unfolded over about eight minutes, according to police.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Robinson was charged with resisting arrest, reckless driving and second-degree aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle. He also was ticketed for failure to obey a police officer, speeding, driving without a license and other driving violations.

Robinson was arraigned Tuesday morning before Eastchester Town Justice Dominick Porco and released to reappear Wednesday, court officials said. No attorney for him was listed in court records, and he could not be reached for comment.