The search for clues or more remains in the Gilgo Beach serial killer case ended Tuesday without any new discoveries, authorities said.
The targeted canvass of 11 spots in and around Captree Island, which were initially spotted during an FBI flyover of the South Shore earlier this year, were concluded a little after 11 a.m.
"I'm not going to comment on what we found other than we have no evidence recovered from the search this morning," said Trooper Frank Bandiero of the State Police.
State Police Lt. William Hulse said the areas designated through the FBI aerial photography "required a second look."
He didn't say specifically what sparked investigators' interest in those areas, but said the items turned out to be debris. "If you walked in the woods, it'd be what you'd find in the woods," Hulse said.
The search stretched along both sides of the Robert Moses Causeway from Ocean Parkway to the Robert Moses Causeway Bridge. Suffolk police Det. Lt. Gerard Pelkofsky of the Homicide Squad said investigators have no immediate plans to search the area again.
"We're going to evaluate what happened during this morning's search and see what happens," Pelkofsky said Tuesday at the search area.
In April, an FBI plane and Black Hawk helicopter made high-resolution images of the area, where 10 sets of human remains have been found since December -- eight in Suffolk and two in Nassau.
Officials have been able to identify only five of the remains. The first four skeletons, which were found in Gilgo Beach in December, were all young women who worked as prostitutes and are believed to be the victims of a serial killer. One of those women -- Megan Waterman, 22, of Scarborough, Maine -- disappeared a year ago Monday.
The fifth set of remains was identified as belonging to Jessica Taylor, 20, who was killed in 2003.
Officials have not found Shannan Gilbert, 24, who was last seen in Oak Beach on May 1, 2010. Authorities were searching for Gilbert or clues to where she was when they found the first sets of remains.