Spin Cycle

News, views and commentary on Long Island, state and national politics

Catering hall employees protest Sen. Martin's 'gratuities' bill

More than two dozen catering hall employees held a protest on Tuesday in front of the Garden City offices of State Sen. Jack Martins, calling on the Republican to drop a bill they claim would shortchange wait staff out of hard-earned gratuities.

Attorneys for waiters, dishwashers and service staff have filed class-action lawsuits against Long Island catering halls, seeking service charges they say customers believed would go to staff. Martins’ bill would give immunity to the caterers unless they told customers in writing that service charges were gratuities.

“I never saw a dime of the service charges,” said John Michael Cohan, 23, of Huntington, who has worked as a waiter, bartender and busboy for several area catering halls. “They stole my tips.”

Freddie Chavarria, 34, of Huntington, and a former employee of Crest Hollow Country Club, added, “these gratuities belong to the hard working people” and not to the catering hall owners.

Martins (R-Mineola) said his bill was crafted with input from labor and business interests.

“In fact, it passed the Senate last year with bipartisan support and was sponsored in the Assembly by many of our Assembly members from here on Long Island, “ Martins said in a statement. “Unfortunately, this rally is the work of a radical group from Queens and a few sue-happy lawyers who would derail this progress to score a big payday for themselves.”

Martins first sponsored the bill -- which would also clarify the difference between a service charge and a gratuity -- last year. It passed the Republican-controlled Senate but died in the Democrat-run Assembly.

The bill was re-introduced by Martins again this month. A similar bill was introduced by Assemb. Phillip Goldfeder (D-Far Rockaway) and is co-sponsored by three Long Island Democrats: Assemb. Michelle Schimel of Great Neck, Assemb. Charles Lavine of Glen Cove and Assemb. Harvey Weisenberg of Long Beach.

In 2008, the New York State Court of Appeals, the highest state court, ruled that a caterer’s service charge must go to pay staff if a customer had a reasonable expectation that it would. The caterers are now facing dozens of lawsuits with costs dating back to 2004.

Protesters also criticized Martins for accepting $38,000 in contributions from local catering halls in 2011 and 2012. Martins has said he is acting on the merits of the issue.

The protest was organized by Make the Road New York, which advocates for low-income workers. 

advertisement | advertise on newsday

advertisement | advertise on newsday