Looking for things to do with the kids besides heading to the beach, a parade or a barbecue? From carnivals and animals to Memorial Day celebrations and more, there's so much to do on Long Island. Here are 10 fun, family-friendly activities for Memorial Day weekend:
1. Brookhaven Fair at The Fairgrounds (L.I.E. Exit 64 - Route 112, Medford). Families can enjoy entertainment, rides, games and other attractions, plus fireworks Saturday night. Check out the fair from 5 to 11 p.m. on Friday, May 24, 1 to 11 p.m. on Saturday through Monday, May 25 to 27. Price: $10 admission and cost of rides (either individual ride tickets or POP).
2. Bethpage Air Show at Jones Beach State Park (2400 Ocean Pkwy., Wantagh). On Saturday, May 25 and Sunday, May 26 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., the United States Air Force Thunderbirds, military and civilian performers take to the skies above the beach in honor of Memorial Day. Price: Free; $10 parking.
3. Strawberry Festival at Garden of Eve (4558 Sound Ave., Riverhead). On Saturday to Monday, May 25 to 27 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., families can check out pedal karts, hayrides, farm animals, hay tower, spider web and more activities. Admission includes admission to U-pick Strawberry Field. Price: $7.95 and cost of berries.
4. Eisenhower Park Memorial Weekend Carnival at Eisenhower Park (1899 Hempstead Tpke., East Meadow). Families can check out thrill and kiddie rides, games with prizes, a food court and live entertainment on Friday, May 24 from 6 to 11 p.m., Saturday and Sunday, May 25 to 26 from 2 to 11 p.m. and Monday, May 27 from 2 to 7 p.m. Parking is at Field 2. Price: Free admission, fee for POP bracelets.
5. Flag Placement at Long Island National Cemetery (2040 Wellwood Ave., Farmingdale). Volunteers are needed to place flags at headstones at the Long Island National Cemetery on Saturday, May 25 at 6 a.m. Flag pickup is 8 a.m. Saturday, June 1. At Calverton National Cemetery, volunteers are also needed, 9:30 a.m. Saturday, May 25, flag pickup is at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, June 1. Price: Free.
6. Decoration Day at Old Bethpage Village Restoration (1303 Round Swamp Rd., Old Bethpage). Memorial Day was originally called Decoration Day in the 1860s. The event from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, May 25 and Sunday, May 26 includes a parade, ceremony, historic craft demonstrations, storytelling, brass band concerts and more. Price: $13 adults, $8 children ages 5 to 12, free children ages 4 and younger.
7. Sunken Forest Tours at Sailors Haven (Fire Island National Seashore, Fire Island). From 11:15 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday to Monday, May 25 to 27, families can take a 1.5 mile guided tour of the Sunken Forest and learn how it came to be, how plants and animals of this ecosystem interact and more. Price: Free.
8. Toy Story Paint Event: Paint Buzz Lightyear at Key to My Art (131 Main St., East Rockaway). Children ages 5 and older can attend this drop-off event from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Sunday, May 26. The price includes all supplies, canvas, paint and step-by-step instructions. Registration is required. Price: $20, 10 percent sibling discount.
9. Mosaic Street Painting Festival at East End Art Council (133 E. Main St., Riverhead) Families can check out gourmet trucks, street-painting, entertainment, face-painting and more children's activities noon to 5 p.m. Sunday, May 26. Rain date is Monday, May 27. Price: $20 per square (includes materials), free for spectators.
10. Long Island Ducks vs. Sugar Land Skeeters at Bethpage Ballpark (3 Court House Dr., Central Islip). Head to a ballgame and root for your favorite hometown team on Friday, May 24 at 6:35 p.m., Saturday, May 25 at 6:35 p.m. and Sunday, May 26 at 1:35 p.m. There will be a fireworks show after the night game on Saturday. Price: $13-$15.