Looking for things to do with the kids this weekend? From Blue's Clues, Silly Dilly Band, snowflakes, lighthouses and more, there's much to do on Long Island. Here are my top five picks for fun, family-friendly activities this weekend:
1. Blue's Clues Live at Bellmore Movies (222 Pettit Ave., Bellmore). Meet Blue and her friends after watching a live, interactive performance on Friday and Saturday at 1 p.m. and Sunday at 1 p.m. Price: $10.
2. SnowFlake Week at the Long Island Science Center (11 W. Main St., Riverhead). Kids can inspect crystals under a microscope and learn about how crystals and snowflakes are formed on Friday and Saturday from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Price: $5.
3. The Silly Dilly Band at the Long Island Children's Museum (11 Davis Ave., Garden City). On Saturday, enjoy a music performance filled with original songs by the Silly Dilly Band as well as classic children's songs with a silly twist. There's a 1 p.m. and a 3 p.m. show; best for ages 3 and up. Price: $4 with museum admission ($11), $10 theater only.
4. Watercolor Wonders: Lost in Space at Caleb Smith State Park Preserve (Jericho Turnpike, Smithtown). Ideal for ages 7 and up; kids can trace and cut their own watercolor collage using templates at 10 a.m. on Saturday. Price: $4, $3 children.
5. Light Up the New Year at the Cold Spring Harbor Whaling Museum (301 Main St., Cold Spring Harbor). Ever wonder what it's like to be a lightkeeper? On Sunday at 12:30 p.m., kids and adults can learn about lighthouses and then build their own. Reservations are required; best for ages 5-12. Price: $6, $5 children.