Weekend family fun on Long Island: Enchanted trails, 'Freckleface Strawberry' and more
Looking for things to do with the kids this weekend? From enchanted trails and Halloween fun to new musicals and more, there's much to do on Long Island. Here are my top five picks for family-friendly activities this weekend:
1. Enchanted Forest Trail at Quogue Wildlife Refuge (3 Old Country Rd., Quogue) on Saturday, Oct. 19 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Families are guided through forest trails where they can meet fun and educational characters. Event also features kid-friendly games and acivities. Appropriate for children ages 2 to 7. Reservations required. Price: $10 per person
2. American Girl Fashion Show at Our Lady of Mercy School (520 South Oyster Bay Rd., Hicksville) on Friday, Oct. 18 from 7 to 9 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 19 from 2 to 4 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m. and Sunday, Oct. 20 from 1 to 3 p.m. A fun-filled event for girls and their families, friends, and favorite dolls. Enjoy tea-party style refreshments, enter to win raffle and door prizes, and learn how clothing has changed over the years to reflect history, culture, and girls’ individual styles. Price: $37
3. Freckleface Strawberry at Nassau Community College (1 Education Dr., Garden City) on Friday, Oct. 18 at 7 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 19 at 2 p.m. and Sunday, Oct. 20 at 2 p.m. Kids will love this musical based on the children’s book by Julianne Moore. It tells the story of a little girl with bright red hair who ultimately learns to accept herself, freckles and all. Price: $9 for adults, $6 for children under 18
4. Scary Walk 4 Autism at Darkside Haunted House (5184 Rte. 25A, Wading River) on Saturday, Oct. 19 from 1 to 5 p.m. A children’s Halloween party and scary walk featuring an inflatable slide, bouncer, obstacle course inflatable and more. All proceeds benefit Justice 4 Autism. Rain date is October 20.
5. Duck Race at East Setauket Pond Park (Rte. 25A, East Setauket) on Saturday, Oct. 19 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. The duck race features 45 vendors and family-friendly activites like face painting and pumpkin decorating.