Police collect evidence after authorities said a Suffolk County police...

Police collect evidence after authorities said a Suffolk County police officer was stabbed multiple times in the face by a suspect inside a Central Islip home on Saturday, Aug. 13, 2016. The suspect was shot in the stomach by another officer, police said. Credit: Stringer News

A Suffolk County police officer who was stabbed in the face multiple times Saturday during a welfare check had his nose “nearly severed” and underwent four hours of surgery following the attack, police said Sunday.

The officer, a 20-year veteran of the Suffolk County Police Department whose name has not been disclosed, is expected to be released from Stony Brook University Hospital Sunday night or Monday morning, PBA president Noel DiGerolamo said.

The suspect, Mark Caraway, 40, was shot in the stomach by another officer inside the Central Islip home. Caraway remained in critical condition Sunday at Southside Hospital in Bay Shore, officials said. No charges have been filed against him.

About 1:20 p.m. Saturday, police received a 911 call asking for a welfare check “of an individual acting irrationally and armed with knives,” according to a news release. Police had originally said Saturday that it was a domestic violence incident.

According to a police source, precinct officers found Caraway barricaded in the basement and called the Emergency Services Unit, a SWAT-like team. They heard the man “making noise, breaking things,” according to the source.

While waiting for a negotiator to arrive at the scene, the suspect stopped making noise, at which point officers who were concerned he would hurt himself went down to the basement. “That’s when the individual attacked the officer,” according to the police source.

Suffolk Police Commissioner Timothy Sini told Newsday on Saturday that the officer who was injured was the first one through the door.

The knife attack fractured the officer’s cheekbone and “ripped through his nose and lip,” said DiGerolamo, who visited the officer at Stony Brook University Hospital Saturday afternoon.

The incident is a reminder of what officers can confront, DiGerolamo said. “It’s an extremely dangerous profession and it’s getting more dangerous every day,” he said.

Court records show that Caraway was arrested July 27 in a domestic violence incident. A temporary order of protection was issued in the case and he was released on his own recognizance. He was scheduled to be back in First District Court in Central Islip on Aug. 22.

Latest videos