Even though it will be nearly impossible to collect damages, plaintiff Ellen Saracini, whose husband, Victor, was the captain of one of the planes that struck the World Trade Center, said that she is happy about Manhattan Federal Magistrate Judge Frank Maas' recommendation.

"It's hard being happy, but I am happy about it," said Saracini, of Yardley, Pa. "But it opens up old wounds. We were never in it for a lawsuit. I wanted to know what happened to my husband."

Last year, Judge George Daniels signed a default judgment on the lawsuit brought by relatives of 47 victims. He found al-Qaida, the Taliban and Iran liable and asked the magistrate to determine damages. Maas' ruling Monday is a recommendation to Daniels, who can accept it or amend it.

Maas calculated punitive and compensatory damages for each of the plaintiffs and their lost family members.

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has repeatedly denied any Iranian connection to the Sept. 11 attacks or with al-Qaida.

NewsdayTV takes a look back at some of our investigations and exclusive stories from this week. Credit: Newsday

What you missed this week on NewsdayTV NewsdayTV takes a look back at some of our investigations and exclusive stories from this week.

NewsdayTV takes a look back at some of our investigations and exclusive stories from this week. Credit: Newsday

What you missed this week on NewsdayTV NewsdayTV takes a look back at some of our investigations and exclusive stories from this week.

SUBSCRIBE

Unlimited Digital AccessOnly 25¢for 6 months

ACT NOWSALE ENDS SOON | CANCEL ANYTIME