A look back at the Island in the 1920s.

Credit: Kings Park Heritage Museum

Main Street, Kings Park, in 1923. You can find more historic photos of Kings Park here

Credit: Kings Park Heritage Museum

The Kings Park National Bank on the intersection of Main Street and Church Street in 1924, the year it opened. You can see more photos of historic Kings Park here

Credit: Kings Park Heritage Museum

Main Street and Henry Street looking east in the 1920s. You can see more photos of historic Kings Park here

Credit: AP Photo

Workers load fuel aboard "Spirit of St. Louis" at Curtiss Field before towing the plane to Roosevelt Field on May 20, 1927. Later, Charles A. Lindbergh started his flight to Paris to be the first to complete a nonstop transcontinental flight.

Credit: Courtesy of the Cradle of Aviation Museum / Dr. John Mann

Charles A. Lindbergh with his mother at Roosevelt Field in May 1927.

South Huntington Station School

Credit: Huntington Public Library

The South Huntington Station School used to be a notable landmark on New York Avenue, shown here in July 1924.

Bathing in Long Beach meant wearing head-to-toe bathing attire and cost 25 cents to gain access to the beach in the 1920s.

Credit: Collection of Joshua Soren

Swimmers enjoy what was then known as High Hill Beach in the 1920s. The popular area is now part of Jones Beach State Park.

Credit: Collection of Joshua Soren

A picture of High Hill Beach in 1920 includes the former Savage's Hotel and Casino in the background.

Credit: Collection of Joshua Soren

High Hill Beach in 1920.

Credit: Collection of Joshua Soren

An ad for High Hill Beach in 1920.

Credit: Collection of Joshua Soren

High Hill Beach in 1920.

Credit: Collection of Joshua Soren

Swimmers at High Hill Beach in the 1920s. The area is now part of Jones Beach State Park.

Hounds and horses are ready for a hunting event in Old Brookville in 1920.

Three Nassau County police detectives and a uniform cop during a moonshine raid in the late 1920s.

Credit: Newsday

The Maples was built in the 1920s in Manorville. The structure now is the home of a pub that serves grill food and has live music performances.

Credit: James T. Johnathan Family

The Panther Athletic Club, an all-black baseball team, on Long Island in the 1920s. This photo was taken by Bay Shore photographer James T. Johnathan used a camera to open a window into life on pre-suburban Long Island, including a small but determined black middle class that went mostly unnoticed before the 1960s, according to a 2012 Newsday feature on his work.

Credit: James T. Johnathan family

This photograph taken in the 1920s by local photographer James T. Johnathan shows East Main Street in Bay Shore with its many specialty stores, hence the town's reputation for being The Heart of the South Shore for Long Island shopping.

Credit: James T. Johnathan Family

Bay Shore photographer James T. Johnathan took this photograph of himself with his automobile and an unidentified young boy in the early 1920s.

Credit: James T. Johnathan Family

This photograph taken by the Bay Shore photographer James T. Johnathan in the 1920s is a self-portrait of himself at work in his studio.

Credit: Farmingdale State College

In the early years at what is now Farmingdale State College, technology revolved around farming. The course of study included things like soil fertility, dairying and animal husbandry, forestry, and beekeeping. This is a Cletrac tractor from about 1920.

Credit: Farmingdale State College

The Class of 1923 at what is now called Farmingdale State College.

Credit: Farmingdale State College

A student in a beekeeping class in 1921 at what is now Farmingdale State College.

Credit: Farmingdale State College

The main entrance to what is now Farmingdale State College about 1920.

Credit: Nassau County Public Works Department

Nassau County used dynamite in the 1920s to create paths for draining the surface water of the marsh, in hopes of deterring and reducing the mosquito population.

Credit: Nassau County Public Works Department

Spraying oil on water was the technique to reduce mosquito population in the 1920s by the Nassau County Mosquito Commission.

The shopping district was bustling in the 1920s along Great Neck Road, in what is now called Great Neck Plaza.

Manorville's Long Island Rail Road station in the early 1920s.

Workers prepare to lay a sidewalk along Grace Avenue in Great Neck in 1920.

Credit: Suffolk County Parks Department

The Julian Davies estate in Great River was built in 1882 on 300 acres of land. After Davies' death in 1920, the family put the house up for sale, advertising in the classifieds of Country Life in September 1920.

The first Smithtown Fire Department building on Bellemeade Avenue in 1920.

Credit: Library of Congress

Rosalie Gardiner Jones was an Oyster Bay socialite and suffragist known as General Jones. She graduated from Adelphi College -- then a women's school in Brooklyn. She later graduated from Brooklyn Law School and took part in the 1913 Suffrage Hike, a parade in Washington, D.C., one day before the inauguration of President Woodrow Wilson. This photo of her working as an auto saleswoman was taken in the 1920s.

Credit: AP

Expert sharpshooter and performer Annie Oakley comes out of retirement to practice for the Fred Stone Circus and Motor Hippodrome at the Mineola Fair Grounds on July 27, 1922. Oakley performed in Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show from 1885 to 1902.

Credit: Society of the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities

The 36-foot-tall Hayground Windmill is shown here in 1923. It is the last commercially operated windmill on Long Island and remains in operable condition. The windmill, built in 1801 in Hayground in Southampton Town, was moved in 1950 to the Simon estate in East Hampton.

Walter P. Chrysler donated this fire truck to the Great Neck Alert Fire Company in 1927.

Aviator Charles Lindbergh is greeted by Nassau County police in June 1927 upon returning from his historic solo flight to France.

Finnegan's Restaurant and Tap Room in Huntington celebrated its centennial in 2012.

Credit: Newsday

Nassau County Officer Joseph K. Mott on patrol in 1928 driving a Model-T Roadster.

The original communications room of the Nassau County Police Department in 1928. Patrol cars could not speak to headquarters -- it was a one-way conversation.

Credit: Charles and Mary Chisolm

This advertisement for land in Mastic Beach appeared in a June 1929 edition of the Brooklyn Citizen.

The Granada Towers was built in Long Beach in 1929. The condo community was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984 and is still around today.

Credit: Huntington Historical Society

The Hotel Huntington on New York Avenue and Fairview Street in 1929.

Credit: Courtesy Louie's

The clam shack of Louie's restaurant in Port Washington, circa 1920.

Latest Videos