David Wright has had enough of the contract talk, so he's squashing it.
Wright's contract status came to the forefront again last week when a report said the Mets planned to reach out to the third baseman's representatives to try to negotiate a new deal.
Although his six-year, $55-million contract expires at the end of this season, the Mets hold a $16-million option for 2013, which they'll exercise if a deal can't be reached before then.
So Wright believes there's no need to constantly speak of the situation because the plan is to wait until after the 2012 campaign to sit down with the Mets to discuss a new pact.
"That's been the decision all along," Wright said Saturday. "It's just nobody has ever asked. With the much ado about nothing the last couple of days, I wanted to make sure we address it right now and that's kind of it. Just so everybody is on the same page. We let the front office know yesterday and the day before as well. We can just focus on baseball and that's it."
Wright, who went 2-for-4 with a homer in a 5-0 win over the Cardinals Saturday, doesn't want it to become a distraction -- particularly with the Mets (30-23) playing well.
"It's just not necessary," he said. "I think with the good vibes that are going on right now and the good surrounding this club, I just feel somewhat selfish in the middle of the season to be talking about myself, talking about 'me' when we should be talking about 'we.' ''
Wright explained he doesn't want it to be 2006 all over again. He negotiated a contract during the season that year.
"I learned from that," he said. "It's just something where I felt like the offseason was a much better time, where you can sit down and really figure something out rather than the middle of the season.
"It's important that we keep the momentum that we have now and not start talking about individual things like contracts."