New York Mets first baseman Ike Davis (29) reacts after...

New York Mets first baseman Ike Davis (29) reacts after hitting a walk off game winning solo hom erun to defeat the San Diego Padres 2-1. (June 8, 2010) Credit: Christopher Pasatieri

Ike Davis was about to take a big leap - the biggest of his professional career - when he thought better of it.

Davis had just hit the first walk-off home run of his career in the 11th inning last night to give the Mets a 2-1 victory over the Padres at Citi Field.

As he rounded third base, he took off his helmet and whipped it into the air. As he approached home plate, he readied to jump high and into the waiting arms of his joyous teammates.

Except . . . Davis and his teammates remembered the serious ankle injury suffered May 29 by Kendry Morales of the Angels while jumping onto home plate following a walk-off grand slam.

"I was going to jump really high but I saw my teammates going, 'No, no, no, no,' " Davis said. "So I did like a fine little hop."

And ended a fine little game for the Mets, who won their ninth in a row at home and fourth straight overall.

The Mets won thanks to Mike Pelfrey's nine-inning outing. Elmer Dessens (1-1), the fourth Mets pitcher, got the win.

And they won because of Jose Reyes' tying home run in the seventh inning, which was first ruled a double and then (correctly) overturned after a replay review.

Davis' home run, his seventh of his impressive rookie season, came off a 1-and-1 pitch from Edward Mujica (2-1). It went deep into the second deck in rightfield and needed no replay review.

"He's got some electricity in those hands, man," manager Jerry Manuel said. "The bigger the situation, the bigger the man. I think that's what Ike brings."

Angel Pagan, who nearly ended the game with what turned into a ground-rule triple in the 10th inning, gave Davis a pie in the face after the game. It was Davis' second pie - he got one after his major-league debut April 19 - but the first was made from shaving cream. This one was whipped cream, which Davis appreciated.

"As soon as they hit me I went, 'Oh, God,' " Davis said. "Because it got all the way back in my throat again. Then I went, 'Oh, that's pretty good.' "

The Padres (0-for-9) and Mets combined to go 0-for-17 with runners in scoring position. The game also featured two disputed plays. One went to replay, one didn't.

The Mets, trailing 1-0, tied it in the seventh on Reyes' home run off lefthander Clayton Richard. Reyes hit a drive to left that appeared to barely go over the orange line atop the wall before bouncing back onto the field.

Third-base umpire Mike DiMuro signaled "safe," however, indicating that the ball was in play. Reyes, incredulous, pointed at his eyes after he reached second base.

The umpires went in and looked at the replays. Crew chief Tim Welke emerged and waggled his index finger in a circular motion to indicate what Reyes already knew - that he had hit a home run, his second of the season.

Then, in the 10th, Pagan hit a long drive to the top of the cutout portion of the rightfield wall. A fan in the front row appeared to reach over and touch the ball below the orange line. The ball dropped to the warning track as Pagan steamed into third.

Umpires signaled fan interference, which usually means a ground-rule double. But Pagan was allowed to stay at third base as the umpires ruled he would have made it there anyway.

"I don't know why they didn't go watch it on the replay," Pagan said. "I thought maybe they couldn't do two replays in one game."

Newsday LogoSUBSCRIBEUnlimited Digital AccessOnly 25¢for 5 months