Mets infielder Pete Alonso at spring training camp on March 15 in...

Mets infielder Pete Alonso at spring training camp on March 15 in Port St. Lucie, Fla. Credit: Newsday/Alejandra Villa Loarca

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — Pete Alonso and the Mets did not broach a possible multi-year deal before recently agreeing on his 2022 contract, he said Wednesday, but he is open to such negotiations if the feeling is mutual. 

This is not a pressing issue for either side. Unlike the Yankees’ Aaron Judge, who is a scheduled to become a free agent after this season, Alonso wouldn’t hit the open market until after 2024. 

“Maybe in the future it’ll happen, but this go-round it was just the one-year term,” Alonso said. “Honestly, it’s whatever is offered and put on the table. For us, that wasn’t on the table at [this] point.” 

Is a multi-year contract something Alonso and the Mets might pursue in the future? 

“You got to ask Billy [Eppler],” he said. “For us, whatever comes, obviously we’ll hear it out . . . I love New York. It’s a special place. I’ve really enjoyed my time playing and me and my family have embraced the city. We love it here.” 

For this season, the Mets and Alonso agreed on a one-year, $7.4 million pact Tuesday. That is a huge jump up from his previous salaries, which combined for about $1.47 million across three seasons — less than his $2 million in prize money for winning the Home Run Derby twice. 

Had they not agreed on a 2022 salary, they would have gone to an arbitration hearing. 

Alonso was happy to avoid that. 

“I’m just really, really blessed and fortunate that we were able to get something done,” he said. “We came to an agreement. We thought it was great for both sides. I’m very, very pleased with the deal. Very pleased.” 

Happy Marte 

An outfield alignment tidbit: Starling Marte (sore left oblique) played rightfield in a minor-league game Wednesday. He has never played that spot in the majors. 

So far in camp, with Marte mostly sidelined, Brandon Nimmo has practiced largely in centerfield, Mark Canha in leftfield. 

Marte’s prescribed workload called for him to merely stand there and track pitches, not swing, when at the plate. But he couldn’t help himself during his last at-bat, popping a bunt down the third-base line for a single. He showed no ill effects — and seemed to quite enjoy himself — in advancing to third base on the next hitter’s double and trying to score on a flyout. 

“He impressed Wayne Kirby,” manager Buck Showalter said, referencing the Mets’ outfield coach. “He said, ‘He can really run.’” 

Rave reviews 

The Mets are among the teams using PitchCom — which allows pitchers and catchers to electronically and covertly communicate instead of having catchers call pitches with their hands — during spring training. MLB intends to make it the norm across the majors, though not necessarily this year. 

“I’ve heard a lot of good feedback on it,” Showalter said. “I think it’s probably going to be when, not if.” 

The effects of PitchCom are thought to include the elimination of stealing signs from second base and the speedier calling of pitches. 

Pitching plans 

Chris Bassitt and Carlos Carrasco will face Mets minor-leaguers Thursday afternoon instead of pitching in the Grapefruit League night game against the Marlins. The club made that switch because expected rain threatens the Miami matchup. Each pitcher is scheduled to throw three innings. 

Extra bases 

Righthander Yennsy Diaz arrived Tuesday, Showalter said. Delayed by visa issues, he was the last player to report to camp . . . Reliever Drew Smith has been limited by foot soreness . . . James McCann (back tightness) was feeling better but didn’t participate in the workout Wednesday and won’t play Thursday.

SUBSCRIBE

Unlimited Digital AccessOnly 25¢for 5 months

ACT NOWSALE ENDS SOON | CANCEL ANYTIME